11.05.2011

A Quick Trip to Santa Barbara

In September, my mom and dad went to Santa Barbara on a trip for my dad's work (a pleasure trip, not business). In July, I received a call from my dad's assistant, Nel. She told me that during the trip in September, there was going to be a surprise retirement presentation for my dad. (He's retiring in March of 2012.) She asked if my sisters and I would fly to Santa Barbara in secret and surprise my parents during the celebration. (It was expenses-paid, which took the biggest obstacle -- price -- off my sisters and me, none of whom could have afforded it otherwise.) My sisters and I talked, and we told Nel we could go. The planning began, and soon the trip was upon us.

We were lucky enough not to have significant flight delays, and one of dad's friends picked us up at the airport and drove us to the Four Seasons resort in Santa Barbara. (AMAZING place!) We hid in a room and caught up with each other until it was time for the big surprise. Dad's company had put together a funny video presentation, so we waited backstage while that played. (Remember, neither mom nor dad knew about even the retirement presentation.) Then, they had us give a short speech on a microphone backstage. Since mom and dad obviously had no idea we were there (and why would they?), they thought it was taped. After we spoke, the host said, "All right, girls, come on out!" Holding hands, the three of us walked out on stage. My mom's hands flew to her face, and both she and my dad cried. I think we all cried a little, actually. We all hugged and stood together, arms around each other, on stage for the brief remainder of the presentation.

Afterward, of course all the guests wanted to come up and congratulate my dad. Also, it seemed that everyone wanted to meet my sisters and me. So while what we really wanted to do was huddle together in some back room and explain what was going on -- why we were there, how long we'd known about this, where Sophie was, how long we were staying, etc. --  we instead made pleasantries with all of the friendly guests, including the Marilyn Monroe  and Jack Nicholson impersonators they'd hired to mingle. Finally, at about midnight (2AM Madison time), we made our way back to our adjoining suites and talked as a little family about the events that led up to the wonderful surprise for my parents.

That evening was really the high point. Kate, Meg, and I were able to stay the next day, and we had a nice brunch, a walk on the beach, bloody marys on the bar terrace overlooking the ocean, and a bike ride to the lovely city of Santa Barbara and its huge boardwalk. Unfortunately, Meg had to leave early to fly to a race in Missouri, so she missed our great dinner at a local steakhouse, but we had a great day together.

We wondered aloud if we would ever again spend significant time together as "The Original Five." All three of us daughters are married, we have Sophie now, and we're literally spread out across the country. We spent most of our time together just enjoying each other's company. Because it's amazing -- we actually do enjoy each other's company. I feel so lucky to be able to say that. Sure, we have our differences and our occasional spats, but when we're together, it's always joyous, and it's always hard to say goodbye when it's over. That happy trip to the coast was brief, but I'll remember it forever, and I know the rest of my family will too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment