9.18.2011

Cleaning the Lint Trap

This is an odd one. I don't know what it is about cleaning the lint trap in the dryer, but it gives me a sense of great satisfaction *every* time I do it. (Which, now that I have a baby, is quite a lot.) With one circular swoop of my hand, I grab all of the fuzz that's come off our clothes (that's what ends up in your lint trap, right?) and throw it in the little garbage can positioned next to the dryer. It takes 2 seconds, but afterward, I always feel a tiny bit triumphant. Strange, right?

It might be because when my parents got married in 1978, as they tell us, they got a new dryer. But they couldn't find the lint trap -- it wasn't in a place that either of them had seen a lint trap before -- so they assumed it didn't have one (???). Fast-forward a few years, and my uncle stayed at their place. He did some of his laundry, and he found the elusive lint trap. It was like 6 inches thick with lint. Needless to say, he showed them where it was, so they ended up not setting their house on fire, which I can't believe didn't happen sometime in the years before he arrived. I imagine it was a close call.

Anyway, maybe it makes me feel like I'm somehow avoiding that fate (I have a monster fear of fire). Or that it's just a small task I can cross off my to-do list (another thing that makes me happy). But whatever the reason, that's that.

1 comment:

  1. You U.D and his new bride found that lint trap and laughed very hard at the size of the disk of lint. It looked like a hat. we used that dryer for years. Reading that story made us happy!

    ReplyDelete